Community Manager / Junior Copywriter
Position: Community Manager / Junior Copywriter
Reports to: Head of Production / Head of Digital Communications
Based: Cape Town
ABOUT WILD AFRICA FUND
Based out of Cape Town with teams in Lagos, Harare, Kigali, Accra and Windhoek, Wild Africa Fund is a dynamic new African NGO. We aim to be Africa’s most effective conservation communicator inspiring the public support and political will to protect Africa’s wildlife and wild spaces forever.
We are currently looking for talented social media community manager with copywriting experience to join our growing communications team.
Our ideal candidates will earnestly want to protect Africa’s wildlife heritage and will be inspired by the opportunity to play a pivotal role in building a new kind of African organisation to do so. We are seeking creative minds, can-do attitudes, and those hungry to learn and deliver for a meaningful cause.
They should be well-organised, detail-oriented, and motivated to keep up. Candidates will enjoy working in a talented small team, with exceptional communication skills. They would have qualified in the top tiers of their classes and have some previous work experience.
- Must be Cape Town based
- Full time requirement in office
- Contract role initially with view to move to full time
The role will require daily checking of social media channels including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, TikTok and YouTube (during work hours Monday – Friday) to respond timeously to all comments and direct messages received, in line with the brand tone of voice. This will require working with the Head of Digital Communications to build on and update the question response matrix, fleshing out templated responses and reaching out to appropriate team members for custom response assistance where required. Social media is a significant and important part of our work, and this role will be critical to driving meaningful conversations online, converting hearts and minds. The chosen candidate might not have conservation experience but will be expected to learn quickly and know when to ask for information and assistance in order to not only respond factually, but in line with the cultural nuances of the country of comment origin. The chosen candidate will also be expected to be able to report back on overall sentiment online and keep up to speed with social media trends.
The role will also require first drafts of post copy in line with the social media post schedule and provided information, iterating for different channel requirements. While less frequent, the chosen candidate may also be required to assist with blog posts, copy check press releases and conduct research or provide first drafts for video scripts.
- Respond timeously, factually and in a culturally sensitive manner to all social media comments and messages
- Align to, and further develop, Wild Africa Fund’s question response matrix in collaboration with the Head of Digital Communications
- Understand the brand tone of voice and be able to use it in different contexts
- Engage wider members of the organisation to appropriately respond to unique comments and questions
- Provide first drafts of social media post copy, with relevant iterations for different channels as per best practice
- Assist with blog posts, video scripts, newsletters or press releases including research, first drafts or copyediting
- Degree in English literature, copywriting, or field relevant to written communication
- Exceptional English language skills
- Additional African language skills looked on favourably
- 2-4 years’ experience in community management and / or writing capacity
- Strong understanding of social media trends
- Good communication skills and willingness to collaborate in a team
- Ambition and eagerness to learn
- Strong attention to detail
Three-month contract with view to extend to full time employment.
Preference will be given to BIPOC.
To apply, please email your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com.